Cookie Control Icon

What help is available regarding fuel payments?

Many of us will already have felt the pressure of making bill payments over the last 18 months. Sadly, the winter can be a challenging time for the payment of energy bills in particular, especially when price increases are around the corner.

Fortunately, there are schemes that can help some of those finding the colder months an expensive ordeal.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

The Warm House Discount Scheme can offer up to £140 off your electricity bill and is applied as a credit. To be eligible for the Warm House Discount Scheme, you will need to receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit or be on a low income.

Although the discount can be applied automatically, some applicants may need to contact their provider to check if they are eligible. Those wishing to take advantage of the scheme must be mindful that not all suppliers offer the discount.

Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is available to those born on or before 26th September 1955 and can vary between £100 and £300 to aid with energy payments.

To be eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment, you must receive a State Pension or another social security benefit. It should be noted the following benefits do not offer automatic eligibility. If you are in receipt of one of these benefits you will need to apply for the payment on the website.

  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction
  • Child Benefit
  • Universal Credit

The amount is often paid automatically in November and December, although some payments can arrive in January.

If you do not receive a State Pension or have moved abroad, a claim must be made by 31 March 2022.

Cold Weather Payments

Cold weather payments are paid automatically to people on certain benefits for each 7-day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March. You’ll get £25 for each 7-day period. To qualify you must be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Support for Mortgage Interest

Grants to help pay off your energy debts

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant from a charitable trust to help pay it off. The British Gas Energy Trust run a scheme that is open to everyone. The following companies run schemes just for their customers:

We recognise that with the gradual reopening of businesses, the phasing out of furlough arrangements, or unexpected redundancies may mean some people find they are experiencing a change in income. It is important that you talk to us as soon as you think you might be running into difficulties with your finances as we can help you access support with our money advice or employment services.

To speak to our team about any financial difficulty you’re having, contact us on 0121 748 8100 or alternatively email us at