The success of the Get Healthy Get Working initiative in Castle Vale has seen three participants secure full-time paid employment in the care and warehousing sectors, while five have secured volunteer roles to gain invaluable skills while searching for permanent employment.
The Falcon Lodge training will run from mid-January and interested parties who are looking to get back into work, can email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register their place.
The eight-week scheme has been successful in Castle Vale where unemployed residents and those on long term sick are taking advantage of a packed activities timetable to help secure employment, improve confidence and become healthier. Seventeen residents have joined the scheme, exceeding the initial target of twelve.
The Get Healthy Get Working project includes:
- Get Healthy Get Moving: Low impact circuits for those who need a gentle reintroduction to exercise.
- Job Club: Support for participants with building a CV and opportunities to learn new skills.
- Living Life to the full: Sessions designed to provide coping strategies, rebuilding confidence as well as raising self-esteem.
- Basic computer skills: A popular session helping those with no computer knowledge to email, use the internet and understand Microsoft packages. Help is also available for those with some experience who want to learn specific computer skills.
- Cooking: Participants learn how to plan, prepare and cook a healthy low budget meal. Additionally, Compass Support offers a Level 2 Food Hygiene course for those looking to secure employment in the catering sector.
- Walking group: This activity encourages participants to get fit and get out, enabling them to meet new people while undertaking gentle exercise.
Rob Harris, Employment Advisor, at Compass Support said:
“The team delivering the training scheme compromises of several different disciplines including life coaches, health, inclusion and employment services. This breadth of experience enables us to work on a one-to-one level that other service providers cannot facilitate.
“We tailor the service towards an individual’s needs to help get Castle Vale residents ready to work.
“We are very proud of this initiative and believe that nobody else locally offers this range of support, both mental and physical.”
To sign up for the next training scheme at Falcon Lodge in mid-January, simply contact Compass Support on email@example.com or by calling 07841 067662.